Sunday, May 6, 2012

WEEK 10:Starting with a new aesthetic.

Throughout the process I have been dealing with imagery I felt that anyone could relate to. I wasn't creating what I wanted with my own, hands. Except for in photoshop. So starting here I discovered that going back to my roots of making images with my hands and then photographing them seemed to be a lot more successful. I wanted to get my largest and most eye-catching piece out of the way...mostly because I knew that the space allotted for me would be difficult to deal with. This is due to my inexperience in making "poster" work. So the traditional size of 24"x36" has always frightened me a little bit. Here are some interations I dealt with while working with the quote, "When I leave a place, I like to know it. If you don't, you feel even worse". 










Here I'm trying to work with the traditional idea of the "Home, Sweet, Home" idea that one would see in their mother's or grandmother's house above a door, or kitchen stove. The imagery is somewhat bright/positive, but the quote is melancholy and depressing. I feel that I am on to something here, within the way I'm using pattern and the idea of collage. Collage has been an aspect that I had been using before, but adding a different density of a background changes up the over aesthetic of the composition.

After going through these composition iterations it was then brought to my attention that I should start using more personal imagery, and stop searching the internet for the perfect house, or any object I may need in these compositions. I know that I learned this lesson as a sophomore, but being on the computer all day and most every nights, it's really hard to not use google images and pull files off of it. After conversations with my professor and classmates I realize that the door to Mineral Hall the Kansas City Art Institute would be perfect for this. Not only does is it one beautiful entry door, but it's a symbol of KCAI, which I've grown to love a lot for what it's done for me.

Here is the final image for this quote I decided on:


You may notice that it is placed in it's frame as well. I needed to start placing these in their actual frames I was going to use in order to start seeing the real picture of what I wanted to accomplish. The text of this comp. is the actual book text cut out of the book. I decided to do this because, as you saw above, there was some problem with come up with using the appropriate type treatment. I then thought about what I was doing, and trying to convey. I thought, "Why not just use the actual quote from the book?" So, thus I tried it out, and played with how the treatment to the actual page would turn out. After this was done, it was the way my system was to exist from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment