Thursday, March 1, 2012

WEEK 6: What's the point?

I was asked what is the point of this exercise for my degree project?

Besides it being a chance for me to practice my formal quality it's also a chance to do something I am personally close to. I guess I feel like this will be a time that I can show vulnerability in my work more obviously. Which is tough. It was even tough for me to type that out. So far in the graphic design department I've gotten to do a lot of really great work with interesting content, but I've never gotten the chance to show my own emotions and how I feel about a certain topic. At least I may not have taken the opportunity to do so.

I want to make this a fun, beautiful, and interesting project.

What I need to consider more is what is the point of the form of my design? Why am I choosing print? Why am I basically designing them in a poster format?...that I need to think more about, and I feel that will evolve. But, is it so wrong to have something large and flashy in your portfolio? I don't know why I feel so shallow saying I want to make posters, it's probably because I haven't considered the point of my form, and I just defaulted to large print pieces.

Two thumbs up to Kidwell for making me think about this at a deeper level than I was, but it is also very frustrating, because it's hard to design something without knowing what the form will take on in the end. Although, that's part of the process. There comes a point where you just have to start, and then most likely you'll start over, or built off what you've made.


Last thought: I want these pieces to be experienced the same way as when you listen to a song and relate to that. Does that make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment